More flower pins – Tried and True and Trying New

I made a few more Dahlia flower pins these past weeks, one for a lovely new Sister Missionary, and one for a good friend’s birthday. At first, I had the thought that the Dahlia pins might be too much work for the time I had (plus I think they’re a bit too big for the Sisters to wear), so I tried a new tutorial for poinsettia flower pins I really thought looked nice, and they were layered instead of individual petals so I thought it would save me time.

Unfortunately, the time was not saved on this one. I ended up spending a lot more time embroidering the little petals, and in the end I didn’t like the look, or the way you could see the stitches if you turned it over. I always underestimate embroidery, and even simple straight stitches take a lot more time that I thought. I also didn’t have any nice looking buttons like the tutorial recommended, and I think it played a part in how the flower ended up.

In the end, I went back to the Dahlia flower tutorial I shared in my first post. As I already had all the pattern pieces measured all the bits figured out, it actually went rather quickly and to me provided a much more striking result in the end, but I think that’s just my taste, not the fault of the tutorials at all.

The day I went to make the orange Dahlia I realized all my clothespins were in use hanging actually laundry (the very idea!), and not wanting to wait I decided to stitch the flower petals by hand, like the first flower I ever made. I still love the look of the clothespin flower petals, but it is fun to do something by hand too. Tip if you do the same: as the petals are softer without the glue they fit much closer together, so I ended up needing to cut 3-4 extra petals for each layer.

Time Taken: Poinsettia flower – At least 14400-18000 seconds, possibly more as it was a late night of stitching (I tried making a deadline… it didn’t happen). The Dahlia flowers went much faster at only 7200-10800 seconds or so, not including glue drying time. I usually spread the Dahlias over two days, cutting and assembling about half one day, and the finishing work on the second day, so it doesn’t feel like a lot at once.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s